Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A gift from the air.

4 in the morning, in the car, AM radio: A truck driver calls in and angrily says the government is given no authority to do the things it does by the Constitution. Say Obamacare makes him think of Stalin's Russia. He has such simplistic vistriol that it is impossible to not at least listen to such an angry man speaking so passionately even if you agree with nothing he says and find him ignorant and dangerous. After his rant, he asks the host if the host has ever seen "Superhero Movie". Its a "Scary Movie" like spoof of the comic book movie genre... my angry caller laughs uproariously at the memory of said film and speaks with equal passion that it is the funniest movie of all time. He is blissfully unaware of his sudden crisis of credibility.

Awesome.

Anyway, I think this is tremendous litmus test for anyone sharing an opinion. If your favorite show is "According to Jim", then we have no reason to listen to anything you have to say. Favorite book is by Mary Higgins Clark? Sorry, back of the line and try not to knock anything over. So, next time before you get into a heated debate on anything having to do with politics, religion, or anything else people get very angry very quickly about, maybe find out if they thought "Whole Nine Yards" was funny, and worth watching aside from the inexplicable 20 minute long Amanda Peet nude scene. If they say "Yes! Mathew Perry is soooo funny." Smile, and back away for three steps, and then run. For it does not pay to discuss the merits of having a Department of Education with such a person.

In two days I leave for Paris and this journey. I still do not have a Russian Visa... there are apparently complications. I am leaving anyway, as I am tired of waiting and the world has seemed to try to stop me from going. If I do not get the Visas I require I will have to find another way. I promise to make it as legal as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment